The choir are from Lewisham’s German twin, the Berlin suburb of Charlottenburg, and as part of a tour of England and Wales, they are presenting an evening of classical and folk music from around the world at our usual rehearsal venue, St Laurence’s Church in Catford.
The choir have also kindly invited LCS to join them for part of the concert, and we hope that our own faithful audience will come along and show their support not only to us but also to our German friends.
Amongst the capital city’s ruins in 1949, the Berlin choir was formed as a youth ensemble attached to the Johannische Church. They soon began to welcome singers of all ages, to perform beyond the church and around Germany. In the choir’s early days attending rehearsals in a divided city required determination and courage but when the insurmountable barrier of the Berlin Wall went up in 1961, the choir itself had to be divided.
The choir in West Berlin formed their own percussion ensemble to accompany them and undertook radio broadcasts and recordings, which eventually financed tours around the world.
To the choir’s traditional repertoire of sacred and folk music, modern choral works were added, and finally in their 50th anniversary year, the choir was once again able to become a single entity, a reunited choir for the new millennium!
This free concert will begin at 6.30pm and the church’s address is 37 Bromley Road, Catford, SE6 2TS.
St Laurence’s is five minutes’ walk from Catford and Catford Bridge stations, and buses 47, 54, 136, 171, 199 and 208 stop outside.
Parking is relatively easy on nearby residential streets.